Sunday, May 18, 2008

Cancer and Quilts




One of my roommates from college - a dear friend of mine - discovered during her second pregnancy that she likely had cancer. By her 29th birthday, just one month after having her baby she learned she had Hodgkin's Lymphoma. Cancer.

She lives on the East Coast and that makes being there for her more difficult. I wanted to show her how much I love her and care about her. What better way to do that than make a quilt? I couldn't think of any...

So, that's what I have been up to as far as sewing. I used Lilly Pulitzer fabrics (her favorite) in pinks, greens and blues (her favorites) and some minky that is just sooo soft. I got enough of both to do small quilts for the kiddos too. One baby quilt and mom's quilt is almost done. I am too excited not to share some of what I have gotten done.

Of course the kids have noticed me working on the quilt and are asking who it's for and why. I explained as best I could that my friend, who is a mommy, has cancer - a bad disease that can make her very sick. "Could she die?" they want to know. Ummm. No, my friend won't die. But some people who have cancer do. And the medicine that my friend will take to make her cancer go away will make her feel very sick. This, I realize, is a very confusing matter for them to grasp.

Weeks have gone by now. We pray for her every night. Please, God, heal her from her cancer. Help her to be strong while she takes her medicine. Be with her family while they go through this. Amen.

Reba asked me the other day, "Mommy, what would happen if you got cancer?" Gulp.

2 comments:

Queen Ree said...

Add our prayers to that list.

Anonymous said...

Sar-the quilts look better than ever. Great job! Cheryl will love them and so will her kiddos.