Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Attack of the killer tooth


We are coming off of an eventful or uneventful spring break depending on how you view it. It was uneventful in that we didn't have 8 (count them 8) softball or baseball commitments during the week. There were no meetings, no tennis league, no alarms going off at 5:45 am. There was, however, Sea World, picnics, hair cuts, and dentist visits. It's the latter that I will discuss here.

This is perhaps the most awkward stage I have seen my child in yet (though judging by his father and I, I am sure there are plenty more to come). Jacob is in this funny place between really cute and completely funny looking. Our recent trip to the dentist and family salon has furthered this juxtaposition.

Jacob's long locks were finally too much. Although quite cool among the boys these days, the long hair was becoming an eye sore. There was much discussion in our house about hair cuts and subsequently some tears shed regarding this as well. Daddy would cut it but Jacob didn't want it that short. I would take him to the salon but they would use scissors (apparently we have a fear of hair cutting scissors). Finally one day last week after a delightful picnic I swung into the salon before we reached our house. Surprise attack! The hair would be cut.

After scowling through the entire haircut, Jacob was ultimately very pleased with the result. Fred, the hair master, had done the impossible. Jacob had a hair cut that he was thrilled with! The grin that spread across the boy's face at the final twirl in the salon chair was priceless. The ladies I was sitting with all commented on how adorable my little man was.

Fast forward to the following day. Jacob has been to the dentist and the dentist has deemed that two teeth must be pulled. Jacob has one adult incisor tooth on the top, a left incisor missing, and the two teeth in question are the other front incisor and right incisor. I want you to have the clear picture here (oh right, just look at the photo). Among Jacob's top teeth he has one giant adult tooth front left, a gap to the left of that, then two teeth that need to be pulled immediately to the right. I am thrilled that we are pulling the center tooth that has been dead since he took a header into the bathtub at age two. Though I am suddenly becoming more aware of what this child's mouth is going to look like.

Welcome to the attack of the killer tooth. One giant tooth remains in the front of this boy's mouth. He plays with it now, putting it on the outside of his lips furthering the hilarity of how it looks. Lord help me, I can't help but laugh.

So, Jacob is the most adorable kid I have ever seen until he opens his mouth and bears his pearly white. Just the one. We are calling it his killer tooth.

2 comments:

jenny k said...

The hilarity of the one tooth (especially with the funny jack'o'lantern face he makes with the one tooth outside his lips) is TRULY too much to handle - you have to laugh. And Jacob does like to make people laugh...

Queen Ree said...

I'm voting for cute over funny looking. A smile is supposed to make us smile - if we laugh out loud all the better. Jacob - soak it for all it is worth. Make everyone laugh except maybe during class and in church. Love ya - now show me that grin!!!!