Sunday, February 1, 2009

Showered






I made a quick getaway last weekend to New Jersey. I know what you are thinking, "You got away to NJ." Yes. I was honored to be asked to assist in hosting my college roommate's baby shower. Momma Puz (that's what we call her in reference - though she probably wouldn't mind it to her face) generously paid for, organized, and truly hosted this wonderful baby shower, but asked me to help in the actual execution of it. I was delighted to.

Kristin, my roommate (as we still refer to her - and they me) lived (put up) with me for all four years of college. We came to be roommates after both our original living circumstances came crashing down around us. Her original roommate was the alcohol and drug supplier for the Freshman junkies and mine was a nudist who ended up threatening me physical harm - good times... Anyhow, we were then placed together and never looked back. After four years we were more than roommates she was another sister.

I have to admit. I am seriously excited for this baby. I am FINALLY going to be an auntie! Well, close enough, at least. As soon as I had solidified plans to attend the baby shower I started in making baby VB (the last name is ridiculously long and hard to say and spell so we shorten it with the initials VB) burp cloths, diaper bag, bibs, onsies, a sling, and one goofy updated version of a sock monkey. Alas, I took no pictures of any of it, but rest assured there will be more things made and I will remember to take pictures before I ship them off.

The shower was beautiful, the mom to be was glowing, and dad to be (Eric) was appropriately excited. Kristin was literally overwhelmed with gifts. The amount of gifts just reflected how truly loved this baby will be (not that my little foster babies that come with nothing will be any less loved - just SO many people were SO generous to Kris). I got to see the other 'Nova girls. And I was so blessed to spend time with my East Coast Family. So, see, I really did get away to NJ.

The only down side to the entire trip was the startling realization of my current size. Now, I was well aware that I had, in the last year or so, put on some pounds. What I didn't realize was just how many inches that equaled. Well, folks, when measuring Kristin's girth for the "how big is the belly" game, I joked that she was probably the same size as me in my normal state. Guess, what? It's no joke. The two people who won that game measured my waist (I originally wrote waste as my husband so tastefully pointed out) as reference. Yeah, guess who signed back up for Weight Watchers. I will let you know how that goes - minus all the gory details

1 comment:

Brian M said...

They measured your waste? That's gross.